Students at Hyde High School have a right to a mathematical education which:
- Encourages them to see that mathematics has an intrinsic value and beauty independent of its utilitarian value.
- Equips them with the skills, knowledge and understanding necessary to function in their future life.
- Develops them to their full mathematical potential.
The Mathematics Department aims:
- To develop an enjoyment and enthusiasm for mathematics.
- To develop the individual student’s mathematical expertise and to foster an environment where students aim for their highest possible levels of achievement.
- To help students learn mathematical skills and knowledge and to develop their understanding so that they can function in other areas of the curriculum and in their future life.
- To help equip students for the technological world in which they live.
- To foster an understanding of the multicultural origins and international nature of mathematics.
We endeavour to do this by:
- Employing a wide variety of teaching and learning styles including use of interactive material, practical work, investigational work, exposition, group work, etc.
- Offering individuals work suitable to their age and ability, to enhance their mathematical skills and to enable them to regularly meet with success.
- Providing students with mathematical experiences relevant to life outside school.
- Effectively making use of available, relevant technology in the teaching and learning of mathematics.
- Teaching students in an atmosphere that encourages a questioning, enquiring and problem solving mind.
- Making use of materials and contexts that illustrate the multicultural origins of mathematics and its place as an international language.
Students are placed in sets dependant on ability. Students are assessed frequently so that their needs and potential can be met with appropriate movement between sets. In Years 7 and 8, students are placed in sets 1 - 9; in Years 9, 10 and 11 there are 8 ability sets.
The department is well resourced, both for traditional, investigative and practical style maths teaching and also with the latest in interactive whiteboards, computers and tablets.